We included Rob Fauber on our “Best Public Speakers” list because of his top-down communication and vocal presence. He is the President and CEO of Moody's Corporation. Moody's is a global integrated risk assessment firm that utilizes data, analytical solutions, and insights to help organizations make better decisions.
We reviewed Fauber's message from 2021 announcing that Moody's will acquire RMS, a leading global provider of climate and natural disaster risk modeling and analytics.
Fauber's leadership communication takeaways:
1. Thinking a smile: Fauber responds with a slight smile and "smiling eyes'. This makes him appear more approachable which helps the audience feel more comfortable. He nods often, which can be seen as a submissive gesture, but it balances out the assertiveness of his direct answers.
2. Pitch range and resonance: Fauber highlights important words with higher pitches and more volume. This vocal choice makes his words more memorable to the audience. We recommend he use this more.
3. Grand Gestures: Fauber uses wide hands and arm movements to underscore "family" and "broad growth." Grand gestures outside of the body signal passion and confidence.
4. Structure: Fauber uses examples and top-down communication (starting with the main idea followed by supporting points) to make his messages clear, concise, and compelling.
How Fauber could improve his leadership communication:
1. Facial Expression: Fauber's facial expression does not change much until minute 3 of the video. If he were to start matching his facial expressions to his words earlier, he would appear more emotionally credible while also grabbing the audience's attention.
2. Gesture: At times, Fauber clutches his hands which is a stress-inducing gesture. He would benefit from dropping his hands to his lap in a neutral position when he is not actively gesturing.
3. Weakening language: Fauber uses "kind of, just, and yeah" which decreases his authority. Leaving out those qualifiers would make his message stronger.
Developing leadership communication is easy when you work with Speak by Design. We work with clients from around the world to help them master the art of public speaking and strengthen their presentation skills. We work with individuals, groups, and entire organizations. Your voice is powerful...if you know how to use it. Contact us today to learn more.